Follow rach_unscripted on Twitter

Sunday, July 4, 2010

The virtue I'm working on

Technology is a funny thing. Personally, I consider myself a child of such technology. My cell phone is rarely more than 3 feet from me, I have an external hard drive full of thousands of songs and pictures. My iPod is loaded, my CD player has hundreds of albums to choose from, my camera stays in my purse fully charged and I wireless internet in a restaurant makes my day.

But, with having all these means of communication at my disposal, I think I get a little too wrapped up in it sometimes. If I try to call someone and they don't answer, I leave a voicemail in hopes they'll return my call as soon as they can. When I email someone who I know is in their corner office with internet pulled up at all times, I expect a response within a couple minutes. If I send a text message, I want a reply immediately. Everyone has their phoned bolted to their hip, right? However, while technology is lightning speed, life isn't.

Recently I've been dealing with this thing they call patience and I am sad to report that it is making me lose what little mind I had. Text messages that (in my world) should take a couple minutes to get a result from are now taking hours. Phone calls I thought would come weeks ago aren't lighting up the lines and through all the "e-this" and "i-that" stuff we have around us, there are way too many things I have to wait on. But 300 years ago, any news was delivered on horseback and took forever. If you were sending word to a cousin in the next state that you were on your deathbed, they wouldn't even hear about it until after you're 6 feet under. Wives would go for months and years without hearing from their husbands during times of war and still they dealt with it while they made lye soap.

This makes sense in my head, I hope I'm not losing any of you.

I guess my point is that if it weren't for technology spoiling me and cutting time in half in just about every aspect of my life, when it comes to living my life, I'm too impatient to let nature take its course and do its thing. But on a positive note, while I'm sitting here on the porch swing being patient and letting life do what it does, I can play Tetris on my phone while I make homemade soap.

No comments:

Post a Comment