Follow rach_unscripted on Twitter

Thursday, September 2, 2010

"Send me away with the words of a love song..."

You ever had a crazy dream? You know the kind when you wake up and look around to see where you are and if you have any battle scars? Those dreams just seem SO real and you can't quite differentiate between what really happened and what you thought happened.

I had one of those dreams last night.

A gunshot (in my dream) woke me up in a cold sweat and I looked around my dark bedroom in sheer horror, wondering what on God's green earth just happened. I couldn't figure out why I dreamed up that certain scenario in my head and, while sparing you the details, I had no idea as to why the people involved were there in the first place and how the setting we were in came about.

My brain must be fried. Perhaps I shouldn't go to bed on a full stomach anymore. Or maybe it was that NCIS episode I watched as I drifted off to sleep? Yea, definitely no more of that. But Gibbs and Abby make me laugh. Oh well, I'll get over it.

_______________

On another completely unrelated note, I have a song stuck in my head today. While this is nothing out of the ordinary, I find it humorous due to the song's title. I first heard "If I Die Young" by The Band Perry while I was driving down a back road a couple months ago late at night. My windows were down and I was on a narrow road with tall rows of corn on both sides and a warm breeze slowly blowing through the cab of my truck. Then that song came on and the eeriness of my surroundings were multiplied.




As I listened to the lyric, I couldn't help but fall in love. Death has always fascinated me and I even began planning my own funeral at age 18, certain I would die before I hit 30. My family blamed it on the stage 4 cancer discovered in my dad and never really said too much about it. Then after going to the only funeral home Mayberry has one afternoon to look at caskets, my dad had enough. I've known the Funeral Director my entire life, as he and Dad were good friends, and as soon as I got home I was told to drop it because "you're not dying anytime soon." Now I plan in silence. There's a playlist on my iPod of songs I want played and a Microsoft Word document of what to do once I kick the bucket. I'm such an optimist like that.

Anyway, back to this song.

"If I die young bury me in satin
Lay me down on a bed of roses
Sink me in the river at dawn
Send me away with the words of a love song"

Wow! For the next three minutes and forty eight seconds I had goosebumps.

"And I’ll be wearing white when I come into Your kingdom
I’m as green as the ring on my little cold finger
I’ve never known the lovin' of a man
But it sure felt nice when he was holding me hand
There’s a boy here in town says he’ll love my forever
Who would have thought forever could be severed by
The sharp knife of a short life, well
I’ve had just enough time"

Man I love this song! One of my best friends and I were riding around a couple of weeks ago and she asked if I'd heard of it. When I said yes she said "Oh my gosh, I thought it sounded like something you'd write!" I couldn't help but chuckle. If you haven't heard it, go buy it on iTunes right now!

I'm going to go add this to my playlist now so people have something to laugh about as they stand in line to express their condolences (or joy, because you never know) to my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment