Follow rach_unscripted on Twitter

Sunday, September 11, 2011

362 Miles Later

Busy.

Touching.

Fantastic.

Eye-opening.

Joyful.

Refreshing.

All of which can describe the last 48 hours. 

Sure, Friday night was wonderful with it being football season in Mayberry.  My county's high school team beat a neighboring county. 41-16.  Now that's how I wish each season's home opener could go.  But, silly me left her camera in the truck so you have zero pictures of a smoky Friday night football stadium, super-spirited high school students, mid-50s radio announcers with binoculars calling play by play action and many confused concession stand volunteers.  Maybe I'll remember to take some pictures at a game before the season ends.

But, the weekend doesn't end on Friday night.  Thank the Good Lord!


Saturday: (n) the seventh day of the week, following Friday.

But guess what else Saturday means - it's also the day to get married!

So, yesterday I had the privilege of driving a couple or three hours southeast to see a college friend, Haven,  tie the knot.  Plight one's troth. Get hitched.  Walk down the aisle.  Take vows.  You get the idea.


The beautiful outdoor ceremony was held down by the lake about 3 hours from Mayberry.  Luckily, the directions to the site told me to drive through my alma mater, meaning two things: 1 - I can swing by and see another college friend and grab a bite to eat as we catch up on each other's lives and 2 - I can ride through campus to see what kind of construction they have going on now.  I believe that is completely do-able.  
  
Crystal and I met up for lunch at a Japanese place (completely new to me, since I don't touch ANY Asian food) because I told her I wanted to try sushi.  Yes.  Sushi.  Yes, you read correctly when I just said that I don't eat Asian food. 


It was on my bucket list. I had no choice.  Ok, really I did have a choice, so I did eat the sushi.







The verdict:  Sushi is alright in my book.  Now, I'm not saying I could eat it everyday, but it's a nice change from the ordinary.  Plus, the closest eatery with sushi from my house is over an hour away.  


Moving on, the second stop on my passing-through-college-town-day-trip:





Ahhhh....

It smelled like a grilling festival (because there was a some serious tailgating going on for game day) and looked like it had back when I was the one in stands waving the red towel.  I realize you might not understand the red towel part unless you went to this school.  Maybe you should google it.  

Wow, I feel so much better!

Where was I?  Oh yea, my friend's wedding....

She's beautiful.  Inside and out.  And he's lucky.

Don't worry, he knows how lucky he is.  I told him.  58 times.


There she is with her Dad walking her down the aisle.  My eyes may or may not have gotten misty right about now.  Ok, I can't lie to you.  They got misty.  I turned to my friend Heather's boyfriend who was sitting next to me and told him that crying doesn't count for weddings, funerals and during any church service.  

I'm tough, and tough girls aren't permitted to cry except for those places.  Yea, I made that up.  I'm really a sentimental chicken, not a tough girl.  But I still hate crying.

A few passages of scripture, a couple of vows and one smooch later, bada bing, bada boom! We've got a married couple on our hands.


The happy couple begins their new life together!  But let's not get ahead of ourselves.  There's still food to be eaten and people to mingle with.

Oh, and Haven had to drive the houseboat.  She's so friggin cute like that.


My camera blurred.  Dang flash.


Many photo ops were taken.


Oh, and we might have eaten cake. 
It happens.

Thank you Haven and Broady for tying the knot and for allowing me to be there to help share the special day with you!  I wish you many, many years of happiness and know that you two will make it.  Like Heather said: you have the love that fairy tales are made of.

No comments:

Post a Comment