Follow rach_unscripted on Twitter

Monday, September 5, 2011

Bambi's Momma

Warning: Don't read this post if you're one of those people who can't stand to see a dead critter on the side of the road or if you cried when you realized where hamburgers come from.

It all started Saturday night around six o'clock when I realized I had no plans whatsoever for the evening.  To rectify the situation, I sent a text to my friend Samantha asking her what was going on in the county.  She informs me that she, her husband Stephen (who has literally known me since my diaper days) and our friends Cori and Jake were hanging out at there house where they were grilling burgers and hotdogs on the bonfire. 

Game on.

It had been a couple weeks since I'd been down there and figured that was just what I needed for the funk I had found myself.  So I climbed into my truck, fired it up and headed 15 miles south to the one-stoplight town where Sam and Stephen live.  After a few hours of girl talk inside on the couch with Sam and Cori while the guys sat outside listening to music, a couple of us jumped in the pool for a bit and Cori and I even attempted a game of one on one volleyball while the guys sang along to old school and outlaw country music on a local radio show.  Before I knew it, The clock said it was 1 am.  That left three of us sitting outside talking, carrying on and having a little fun texting someone who mistakenly believed my cell phone number belonged to someone else.  We are an easily entertained bunch. 

But next is when the fun began.  Well, actually, it wasn't fun at all.

Around 2 am I decided it was time for me to head home since I had to be at church in 5 and a half hours.  AS I'm leaving Samantha and Stephen's house, Stephen tells me at least 4 times to call him when I got home so he knew I'd made it in one piece.  "There's a front coming in and those deer are gonna be moving!  I know how you drive and you need to slow down!"  I couldn't argue with him - a cold front was moving in, the wind was picking up and I do have a lead foot.  The last thing I needed was to mack a deer.

I pulled out of his driveway and waved goodbye as I reassured him that I'd be fine. 

Thirteen miles later, on the rural highway where I learned to drive with the windows down, radio on and a speed of 40 mph (I promised Stephen I'd go slow), something happened.


A big bodied doe came running across the highway from the corn field to the east.  Sure, I was able to slow down some, but he went splat.  Immediately, I stop the truck and grab my mag-lite to check on the damage, but the deer is nowhere in site.  I ran it over!  I felt the thump!  It has got to be dead.  Upon further examination, its fate was realized as my light hit the edge of my grandfather's corn field down an embankment.


Poor girl!  (Yes, she's a girl, I just covered up her girl parts since you don't wanna see those)  But check out those legs.  Dadgum!

But I know what you're really concerned about....


 Bubba the truck is on bedrest.


He's got a busted up lip


And a big ol shiner on his eye.


But it seems his nose is gonna be alright.  
Thank goodness for insurance and a good auto-body repair man, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment