Follow rach_unscripted on Twitter

Friday, February 25, 2011

GWTW

Day 23 - A picture of your favorite book

Finally, an easy one!!


How I love this book and all of it's 1037 pages.

And from time to time I tend to re-read page 96 - the first time Scarlett sees Rhett at the Wilkes' barbecue.  The kiss they shared on page 390 (after Atlanta has burned and Rhett decides to join The Cause) gets me every time.  When Melanie was as cool as a cucumber with the Yankee officers around page 802, I was wonderfully surprised and rooting for her as I turned the page.  Don't you love when characters surprise you?

Finally, hold on to your britches - page 1021-22 - Scarlett realizes how Rhett has been there for her over the years and can't wait to run into his arms.  A few pages later, she professes her love and for him and attempts to apologize for pining after Ashley for so, so many years.  Twelve years to be exact.

Then Rhett speaks my favorite line.  No, not the "My dear, I don't give a damn." (yes, the book doesn't have "frankly" - Clark Gable added that for the movie)  My favorite line from my favorite book is on page 1033:  Scarlett says "But, I love you" and Rhett remarks, very matter-of-factly "that's your misfortune."  And with that, he goes on to tell her he's going away.

Now doesn't that sound like life?

Scarlett held on to what she thought she wanted, all the while failing to realize there was a man loving her all along.  Sadly, when she did finally realize Rhett was exactly what she was running to in her dream, he was done holding on.  Done being her second choice.  Done with her.

But Scarlett is confident that she can, in fact, get him back.

After all, tomorrow is another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment