Follow rach_unscripted on Twitter

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Weekend Insanity

Like I told you yesterday, it's been busy in Mayberry.

Friday was baked goods day around these parts, as Thursday night was spent "baking my feelings" as my little sister put it.  Sadly, no photos survived as that was the absolute, without a doubt, unanimously decided WORST batch of red velvet cupcakes that has ever come out of my kitchen.  After distributing it to a few different friends at various businesses around town, I was approached by someone who knows me well enough to insult me, asking if I tried anything with the recipe.

"No, why?" I asked, with a deer-in-the-headlight look coming over my pale, freckled face.

"Well," she began delicately, "they're just not very good."

*gulp*

My heart sank.  A cold sweat broke out over parts of my body I forgot I had and I immediately attempted to sample one, but if fell apart in my hands.  Seriously.  And I really handed that out with a smile on my face?  Are you kidding me?  I felt about one inch tall and wanted very badly to crawl under my truck and die.  Since this traumatic episode, I have apologized to everyone who had the misfortune of tasting those little buggers.  How humiliating!

With my tail between my legs, I tried with all my might to just make it to 5 o'clock Friday, then I'd meet up with some friends for dinner at the best Mexican restaurant (and only in a 25 mile radius) Mayberry has to offer.  After work, I made a quick phone call to my mother's best friend to spill my guts about the horrid baking incident before heading to town to meet my friends.  As I sat there joining in conversation about college days, bad dates, clueless boys and football, I received a random string of texts from one of the code names I hadn't heard from in a while - the baking incident eventually faded from my mind as I sat there sipping my Mt. Dew, glad that I didn't order anything stronger.


The weekend continued with the festivities of Saturday night.  My boss' son was tying the knot and they needed a bartender.  Hmmm.  I've never done anything like that before.  When it comes to mixed drinks and snazzy cocktails, I'm as lost as a lone cattle farmer in Times Square on New Years Eve.  This bar-tending gig would prove to be interesting, but completely entertaining.  I never had to mix a single drink, thanks to the beverages consisting of two huge coolers of beer and one of wine coolers for the ladies.  But the best part of the night, by far, was THIS:


I'm just glad I was able to captrue this moment.  Amen.  
Moving on, Sunday night was the much-anticipated children's Christmas musical at my church in which I played a role.  I dreaded it, because I was honestly scared about who would and would not have their lines memorized.  But, to add a "cute factor" to the big kid's show, the little kids got up and sang a couple of carols.


I love how none of them are looking in the same direction.  It's one of the many things that make me giggle out loud.  I would have pictures from our play Sunday night, but they all look funny due to the lighting in my church's Sanctuary.  All I have to say about that is that bless those kids' hearts, they tried.  Some had trouble with lines, others  had trouble with songs, and some couldn't get their microphones to work.  And to add to that, we had many technical difficulties, myself included.  

But there's always next Christmas.  But next Christmas, I plan on being in the audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment