Follow rach_unscripted on Twitter

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

About Mayberry

I believe I've told you some about my small hometown before.  The demographics, the homey feel, the weird things we celebrate and the back roads.


Last night I took it upon myself to take a drive and reflect on just what this thing is in me that longs to live out my days in such a place where there is no Starbucks, no strip mall, no movie theater and not really much of anything of great excitement to do.  Sure, we have a Wal-Mart, a couple gas stations, restaurants and a place to rent movies, but other than that this place is just acres and acres of fields, woods, country roads and coal belts. But I've never seen this as a bad thing, just another thing that seems to separate my hometown from the rest of the world.


My drive last night took me down winding roads through thick woods, through small communities with maybe one stop sign, much less a stoplight, across the river on a ferry (which is pretty cool when it's dark outside, you should try it), past road signs that make you laugh out loud while you're driving by yourself and somewhere along the way there were random barns so old a decrepit looking they appeared to sway with the wind as you wonder how they haven't fallen yet.



Almost two hours and a few county lines later, my I drove back into the Mayberry city limits.  With a renewed spirit and a clear mind, my headlights hit the grain bins (yes, the grain bins are just inside the city limits) and I couldn't help but notice flashing red and blue lights up the hill towards the city park.

With curiosity getting the best of me, I drove east and headed towards these lights because I knew something had to be up.  Upon further investigation, I realized that a house was fully engulfed in a raging fire just a block from my house.  My younger sister and I trekked up the hill in 15 degree drizzle to see what we could do for the family.  We knew whose house that was and that family in particular has had a rough time as we've been told.  Plus, can you imagine losing EVERYTHING less than three weeks before Christmas?

But we weren't alone.

As it turns out, the fire started in the attic and everyone made it out of the home safely.  Then comes one of my favorite things about this community.... Friends, neighbors and loved ones lined the sidewalk on the other side of the street to lend their support for the family.  To offer them shelter, food, clothing and a shoulder to cry on. 

Walking back home last night I couldn't help but thank God that He has let me grow up in such a caring community, where if you need something, some one is there to lend a helping hand.

And that is one of the best things you need to know about Mayberry.

No comments:

Post a Comment