Follow rach_unscripted on Twitter

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Sitting Still

It's something I have never done very well.

For example, as a grade school student I once got in trouble for being out of my seat in math while the rest of the class was attempting to learn the 9 multiplication table.  Why was I out of my seat?  I believe my words to the teacher was something along the lines of "I learn better when I don't sit down."  I also believe that she didn't buy it.  And, since I live in Mayberry, my parents knew about it before supper time and my days of "standing to learn" were over before they could begin.

Then in my senior year of high school I was an office aid finally was able to walk around my high school halls aimlessly for an hour a day instead of being stuck at a desk staring at bland concrete walls like my comrades.  And, as I found out, office aids learned very valuable lessons, like which teachers used their planning periods to play oldies music as loud as their speakers could play, what the principal's favorite dessert was and how to successfully forge any permission slip headed my way.

Wait, I never actually did that last part.

But my point remains this: I always have to be doing something.  Call it OCD or being a busy body or whatever else you might like, but it's just how I am.

This incessant need to always be doing something has not come in handy these last two weeks, as I've been struck ill with bronchitis that I can't seem to shake.  I'm sick and tired of laying in bed with nothing to do and nobody to talk to.

Thankfully, my little sister joined me for a movie earlier this afternoon - I can't believe that was her first time seeing "Bambi."  Ya gotta love Thumper!  Hey, he come to think of it, he couldn't sit still either.

No comments:

Post a Comment