Follow rach_unscripted on Twitter

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Best Good Friend

There's an apple pie baking in my oven right now.  That has nothing to do with anything, I was just making a mental note so I don't forget about it while writing this.

Back to my story....

Earlier today I was talking to my best good friend about random things like crop sprayers, apples, Mexican restaurants and red lights.  (Hey, I didn't say we were normal.)  We joked and laughed for a bit about people in Mayberry, a couple of our friends who are tying the knot soon and about the previously mentioned apple pie currently in my oven.

One thing you should know about my BGF is that he isn't from Mayberry.  As a matter of fact, he's from a town about 16 times larger than my hometown, and no, I'm not exaggerating. To be honest, I called him a "City Boy" just yesterday and he got offended.  The town he lives in, unlike Mayberry, has "more than one fast food restaurant and seven red lights."  Then he called me a Yankee.  Go figure.

In all fairness, Mayberry has 5 chain restaurants, including four that I would consider "fast food."  And the city he lives in has TWO movie theaters!  TWO!  To watch a movie in Mayberry you either have to cross a state line either to the North or West, or cross two county lines to the Southeast.  Either way, you have to travel at least an hour to get your fix of theater popcorn and a box of Reese Pieces in stadium seated comfort.  Needless to say, I don't make it to the movies much.  However, there is talk of a cinema being built in a neighboring county to the north, which would only make for a 35 minute trip one way.  Oh, the endless possibilites!

So, back to my BGF.  He's a funny guy.  Hilarious, even. Well, except for when he is making fun of Mayberry and the sometimes backward ways of this town.  Not to give him a big head, but I kinda can't help but laugh and have a good time whenever I'm with him no matter what we seem to be doing.  His personality is infectious and addicting, just like double chocolate cake, except being around him doesn't give me the urge to chug a gallon of milk.

And no, he's really not a city boy.  In fact, he might be a little bit country.  Sure, he hits golf balls into the river, but then he puts on boots and plays in the mud in jacked up trucks.  He doesn't play around on tractors at the farm, but he can drive a stick shift and sing along to Mickey Gilley with the best of em.  But I still worry about him and his lack of enthusiasm for football.  I just can't wrap my head around that one.  For such a rugged and manly kind of guy he just doesn't like football. Strange.


So here's to my BGF.  For always making me laugh, for always answering the phone, and for always being just plain cool.  Oh, and for beating up guys who deserve it.

I'm just kidding on that last one.  Well, unless the opportunity ever arises.

No comments:

Post a Comment