Follow rach_unscripted on Twitter

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Fashionista

For the most part I'm not a very fashionable person.  At all.

On more than one occasion I've received a phone call while shopping.  My older sister's voice on the other line would greet me with the usual "hellos" and "what's going on" before finally asking that question that always came next: "What are you doing?"

It got to the point where I'd try my best to avert the question (since by nature I'm a horrible liar) by suddenly bringing up her job or a song or perhaps a funny joke I thought might tickle her fancy.  However, she would always, always see right through me and ask again, in a lowered tone,  where I was.


"Rach Dach, where... are.... you?"

"Ummm, shopping."

"Shopping for what?"

"Ummmm... welll.... Macy's is having a great sale."

[lowered tone] "Rachel, put whatever is in your hand down and step away from the mannequin."

"But it's really cute and marked down to 70 percent off."

"It could be very cute.  Send me a picture before. You.  Buy.  Anything.  Okay?"

"Yes ma'am."


And that is how those conversations would go.  As soon as my big sis discovered that I was attempting to buy something cute or stylish, in an attempt to be dress more like her or any of my other girlfriends, she ripped my independence from me with a stern voice and a quick command to stop immediately what I was doing.

To be honest, she was doing this in my best interest.  After all, I've made some very questionable fashion decisions in my day.  I like to think of it as "dressing for comfort" but the world sees it as "Oh my goodness, what is she wearing and who let her leave the house like that?" 

That is why I'm not allowed to shop alone.

On a side note, thanks to my two sisters' fashion sense, I looked very cute today in a royal blue cable knit sweater, wide leg khakis and the most adorable pointed toe brown boots with a 3 3/4 inch heel.  Oh wow, I just sounded like a fashionable chick.

Anyway, in a completely unexpected move, I did something today that I've seen on other women but silently shunned because I thought it was some stupid fad.  But tonight I had to go to Wal-Mart for a couple things and stumbled upon the nail polish aisle.

To make a long story short:


I took the plunge to the dark side.  Ok, the dark nail polish side, that is.

My older sister has no knowledge of this and I have a feeling that if she finds out, a bottle of nail polish remover will be FedExed to me immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment