Follow rach_unscripted on Twitter

Friday, November 5, 2010

I smell a rat

Let's really, really hope I'm mistaken, but there is some kind of nocturnal rodent meandering around my office at work.  We had this same problem around this time last year, when my coworkers and I would find their "left-behinds" on our desks. So, we did what anyone would do and set up traps to catch these little guys.

But what do you put on mouse traps to lure in the mice?  Aren't you supposed to put cheese or something?  Then my favorite co-worker, also known as the office manager, suggested we use peanut butter and put tape over it so the mouse will have to work harder to snap the trap.  Well, the idea was pretty great, so we did just as it was suggested.

Three mouse traps from a four-trap package had peanut butter and tape.  With one mouse trap left, we grew experimental of what to put on it.  As it turns out, I had brought a red velvet cake to work and decided to find out how the mice felt about my "mystery icing."  With a peanut butter mouse trap on my desk, the office managers desk and the lobby (where we found remnants of their presence) we left the last mouse trap, the one with the icing, on a table in the back room.  We hadn't seen a mouse back there, but what the heck - it's worth a shot, right?

With anticipation, I walked into work the next morning looking forward to the world's mouse population decreasing by at least one.  Well, a mouse did die, but when I learned which trap it was, I was shocked.  None of the peanut butter traps caught a mouse, but you could tell some of the PB was gone.  Those sneaky little creatures!  But it was my mystery icing trap, in the room where we'd never seen any signs of a mouse, that did the trick.



Now here we are a year later....


This Reese Cup was left on my office manager's desk last night.


I think we can now safely say that mice have a sweet tooth. 



Looks like I can skip whipping up the icing and just put Reese Cups on the mouse traps.  Or maybe the culprit was driven into a diabetic coma after cosuming the chocolaty deliciousness that is a Reese Cup.  That'll teach 'em! The dirty, rotten Yankee!

And I guess by now you can guess which statement yesterday was 100% true.  I am incapable of leaving a unopened Reese Cup on my desk overnight like my lovely comrade can.

No comments:

Post a Comment