Follow rach_unscripted on Twitter

Monday, November 1, 2010

Jason

What a weekend!

After staying constantly busy for the past couple days, I finally get a chance to stop and breathe.

Halloween weekend went well, with tons of things to keep this girl busy in Mayberry.


Friday night was occupied by high school football, and my boys in blue came out on top after an emotional senior night program before kick-off.  Even in the press box temperatures dipped while I watched the crowd bundle up then finally dwindle as the night went on. 

After work on Saturday was some fun time, as my brother and I sighted in our guns for the upcoming deer season.


My little sis tagged along and even shot one of the revolvers for the first time.

Then it was time to head to an area Halloween destination: Trembling Timbers, a haunted woods with a story line that changes each year.  Put together by a small area church, the Timbers was started as a way to pay for the church's fellowship hall they constructed on their property.  You see, the church is on an old county highway and it sits, literally, in the middle of a cornfield with a wooded area behind it.  One of the families in the congregation owns the surrounding land, and decided to start this haunted woods as a fundraiser, but the event gained so much attention, they kept going even after the building was paid for.

It begins with a group of about 10 or so people riding on a trailer of hay up into one field and through a treeline to get to the entrance of the haunted woods.  Then, everyone gets off the trailer and begins the journey on foot.  There's a cabin to walk trough with volunteers hiding out, waiting to scare the bejezus outta ya, then a graveyard (where they always pick one name from the group and say that person will be buried there. I'm so lucky, the past two years they've called my name), after that is a big slide, followed by a walk through a tunnel just to name a few things.

Once you're almost to the end comes one of my favorite parts.... the maze!  I never find my way through the first time, but the guy in the Jason mask waving a chainsaw just adds this level of fear.  Or maybe I'm high on the chainsaw fumes.  Unlike years past, this year's Jason wasn't one of my old classmates like it usually was.  This Jason was taller.  He had broader shoulders and a more grovely voice, too.  It was very familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on who exactly it was.  At the beginning of the maze, people were standing still causing a traffic jam of sorts.  Jason is just revving up his chainsaw and then he cuts it off.  My questioning eyes turn to him and I ask why he turned it off because I love the smell o the exhaust (yea, that does explain a lot).  We continue through the maze and I thought I'd never see Jason again.

After safely making it through the maze with only a couple hold backs, my group and I were back on the path.  Then, all of the sudden, I hear a chainsaw rev up behind me and I scream.  Screamed.  Like a girl.  There he was, Jason.  Inhaling the fumes of gasoline and 2-cycle oil, I raise my hand to give this guy a high five and said "thank you" for him turning it back on.  But, he declines my hand and instead says these words: "You can just make me some oatmeal raisin cookies, instead."

Omigosh!  Whoever this man was I couldn't place sure did know who I was!

Thankfully, there is only one place in town I regularly take oatmeal raisin cookies besides my place of work - the guys at my kid sister's job love (I hope) when they see walk in with a Tupperware container because they know that means something good is inside.  So, I narrowed down who Jason was and now plan to take him some cookies soon.


In other weekend festivities, my church had a Trunk-N-Treat on Halloween afternoon for all the kiddos in the area.


This was taken towards the end of the festivities, as I was particularly busy passing out candy to 450 ghosts and goblins.

And wouldn't you know it, while I saw four kids dressed as Luigi, over ten as Spiderman or Spiderwoman and countless vampires and princesses, not one of those little kids dressed up like Jason with a chainsaw


Oh the disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment