Follow rach_unscripted on Twitter

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Turkey Day Facts

- The last Thursday of November became a national day of Thanksgiving in 1863 when President Lincoln declared the fourth Thursday in November to be Thanksgiving Day.  It was actually meant to be a morale thing for Union soldiers during the Civil War.  It wasn’t a national holiday until 1941.

- The "Butterball Hotline" will receive over ten thousand calls today from people trying to cook their turkey.  These calls are answered by actual home economists who have at least a bachelors degree in home economics, nutrition, dietetics or another food-related field.  

- I may or may not have spilled half of the contents of an uncooked pumpkin pie on my kitchen floor this morning.   I can neither confirm nor deny my own clumsiness.

- There is actually a substance in turkey that makes you sleepy.  This explains the 30 minute nap I just took on my grandmother’s couch.

- Pardoning the turkey began with Harry Truman in 1947, but some say it began with Lincoln when he pardoned his son’s pet turkey.

- The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade began in 1927 and was first called the Macy’s Christmas Parade.  It has changed routes, but it always ends with Santa.

- An estimated 40 million people will travel more than 50 miles to reach their thanksgiving destination.  Personally, I traveled half of a mile. 

- Benjamin Franklin thought the national bird should be a turkey, coincidentally, this was also the first animal domesticated in the US.

- Everyone’s family has that one person who you never want to introduce to new people.  This relative almost always says something memorable at Thanksgiving.  I’m afraid I’m this relative in my family

- Indians didn’t eat cranberries.  You can gasp now.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment